Post Europe Degustation LunchAugust 29, 2013
JAM Corner Best Breakfast Restaurant in North QueenslandSeptember 10, 2013
As it’s the start of Spring, thought I would share a great JAM Corner Recipe with you- Chicken Live Pate with Shiraz Jelly.
200GM butter, coarsely chopped
2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 TBS thyme leaves
100GM bacon, finely chopped
500GM Chicken livers, cleaned
1 TS red wine vinegar
60 ML pouring cream
150 ML clarified butter
Salt + pepper
Red wine jelly
3 gelatine sheets
- To make the jelly, simmer the red wine and reduce by 20%, cool until warm.
- Soak the gelatine sheets in a little water for a few minutes; transfer the gelatine sheets into the red wine, mix thoroughly until the sheets are dissolved, and set aside to make the pate.
- Heat 30gm butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add shallot, garlic and thyme and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until shallots are soft (5-6 minutes).
- Add bacon, cook until crisp (2-3 minutes), season to taste, then transfer mixture to a food processor.
- Heat 30gm butter in same pan, add livers and cook until brown (1-2 minutes each side), add to food processor.
- Return pan to heat, deglaze with brandy, reduce for 2-3 minutes, scraping base of pan with wooden spoon, then add to food processor.
- Add vinegar and the remaining butter to food processor, now with most of the ingredients in the processor blitz until smooth, then add cream continue to process to combine.
- Adjust seasoning to taste
- Line a tray with cling wrap, pour pate mix into a mould 2cm below rim, refrigerate until surface is just set (15-20 minutes). Pour over cooled jelly, place back into the fridge to set (2-3 hours).
- Carefully remove the pate from the mould and cut into the desired shape
- Add your favourite seasonal accompaniments to be enjoyed